Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hello Dolly

My wife had me watch a few minutes of “Hello Dolly,” and I enjoyed some of the dialog between the uncle, Horace Vandergelder [played by Walter Matthou], and his niece, Ermengarde Vandergelder. Uncle Horace has sent her suitor [Ambrose] away, and she is distressed. I especially loved the line: “You’ll thank me when you’re 50.” It made me smile.

Ermengarde: Uncle Horace! Uncle Horace!
  Horace: Yes, what is it?
Ermengarde: What have you done to Ambrose?
  Horace: I had a quiet talk with him.
Ermengarde: You did?
  Horace: Yes, I explained to him that he's a fool.
Ermengarde: Oh, Uncle!
  Horace: Weeping, weeping ― a waste of water. I've done you a good turn. You'll thank me when you're 50.
Ermengarde: But, Uncle, I love him.
  Horace: Save your tears for New York, where they won't be noticed.
Ermengarde: But I love him!
  Horace: You don't.
Ermengarde: But I do!
  Horace: Leave those things to me.
Ermengarde: If I don't marry Ambrose, I know I'll die!
  Horace: Of what?
Ermengarde: A broken heart.
  Horace: Never heard of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment