An old friend (Reese Andrews – really old), and a new friend (Brad Booth ― no relation that I know of), both received great news. Each of these men, who have been diagnosed with serious forms of cancer and have undergone major treatments, had clear scans this week. As many prayers have gone up on their behalf, let us give thanks to the Lord! We’re so happy for you men and for your families.
Friday, March 30, 2012
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Parents, I hope you’ve all experienced the delight of having had visitors come to your home and when they left (or the next day or week), they lavished praise upon your children for their good behavior, kindness, respectfulness, joyfulness, etc. That feels so good! Well, pastors also like that a lot.
Thanks, kids, you make a father proud!
- Abstract Expressionism was invented by New York drunks. – Joni Mitchell
- I get all the news I need on the weather report. –Paul Simon
- The first time I see a jogger smiling, I’ll consider it. – Joan Rivers
- I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws. – Charles Boudelaire
- People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. – Unknown
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
I haven’t done this in a while, and I certainly don’t do it often enough. I want to thank all the members of Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church in Nacogdoches, TX for their faithfulness to Christ and their love for one another. I know we’re not without our struggles and sins, but what a gift from God to be in a place; to be in a family like this. We’re all excited about soon having a new building to worship in and proud (like parents) to have such a beautiful place. Nevertheless, the building is nothing compared to the beauty of this congregation of saints. I’m even more proud you. As your pastor, I’m deeply grateful to God for you and thankful to you for your great service to His kingdom. I love you.
Monday, March 12, 2012
- “Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste death but once.” ―William Shakespeare
- “Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler.” ―Albert Einstein
- “Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you fell a thought.” ―E.Y. Harburg
- “Worry is like a rocking chair, it will give you something to do, but it won’t get you anywhere.” ―Anonymous
- “When you’re young and you fall off a horse, you may break something. When you’re my age and you fall of, you splatter.” ―Roy Rogers
Monday, March 5, 2012
- “In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.” ― Paul Harvey
- “Don’t look back. Something might be gaining on you.” Satchel Page
- “I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.” ―Agatha Christie
- “Things are seldom what they seem.” ―Sir William S. Gilbert
- “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” ―Anne Frank