We may make light of the physical since in reality it’s the least of our problems. But when we pull back the curtain of our physical bodies, there’s no more room for light-heartedness. Suddenly, things become dark and serious, and we stand naked before God.
Scripture Paints an Ugly Picture of Us
- Heart: “The heart is more deceitful than all else an is desperately sick; who can understand it?” (Jer.17:9); “For from within, out of the heart of men, proceeds the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.” (Mark 7:21-23)
- Mouth and tongue: “And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.” (James 3:6)
- Mind: “The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.” (2 Cor: 4:4)
- Feet: “Their feet are swift to shed blood, destruction and misery are in their paths.” (Rom. 3:15-16)
- Thoughts and intentions: “Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” (Gen. 6:5)
- The whole body: “And you were dead in trespasses and sins.” (Eph. 2:1)
- General: “And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their deeds were evil.” (John 3:19); “Because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.” (Rom 8:7-8)
The Bible is Describing Each of Us
This is not just some people, somewhere, a long time ago, this is the mirror that exposes each of us for what we are on the inside. We spend a lot of time trying to impress other people, but God is not impressed.
- “How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another, and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?” (John 5:44)
- “For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends” (2 Cor. 10:18).
- “For who regards you as superior? And what do you have that you did not receive? But if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?” (1 Cor.4 :7)
- “Then it came about when they entered, that he looked at Eliab and thought, ‘Surely the Lord’s anointed is before Him.’ But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Sam.16:6)
You can wash and powder a hog, but he's still a hog.