God’s Work of Changing Us Begins Where it is the Ugliest and Most Corrupt:
- He renews our hearts “...by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit.” (Titus 3:5)
- He renews our minds, (Rom. 12; Eph. 4)
- He makes us new creatures, (2 Cor. 5:17)
- He conforms us to the image of Christ (Rom. 8:29)
- We are His workmanship (Eph. 2:10)
God Changes the Outside Last:
- “As for me, I shall behold Thy face in righteousness; I will be satisfied with Thy likeness when I awake.” (Ps. 17:15)
- “Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that, when He appears, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is.” (1 John 3:2)
We might go on focusing on the outside. We might impress our friends. And we might even deceive ourselves. But until we own-up to what we look like on the inside we can never be helped. If we ever get a glimpse of how ugly we really are, then we will flee to the only remedy which is Christ.
The mirror of the heart is God’s Word:
- “For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has person he was. But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man shall be blessed in what he does.” (James 1:23-25)
- “Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you.” (1 Peter)
- “Come unto Me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
Then stand back and see God’s transforming grace! He will take the dirty and make it clean. He will take the ugly and make it beautiful.