Thursday, November 24, 2011

An Act of Thanksgiving to God for Great Blessings

O God, it is good to be alive, and numbered with
the men whom thou hast made:
and
I thank thee for thy gift of life.

O God, it is good to have the power of thought, and
to seek and learn and know:
and
I thank thee for thy gift of mind.

O God, it is good to dwell beneath the sun in the
world which is thy handiwork:
and
I thank thee for earth's beauty, and thy rule
within its laws.

O God, it is good to come to each new day, and to
find the passing years a cure for wounds innumerable,
and
I thank thee for the ministries of time.

O God, it is good to count in word and deed
for ends beyond our own:
and
I thank thee for thy use of me if I have been
of any service to thy purposes.

O God, it is good to rejoice and to be glad,
and
I thank thee for each person, for each experience of life,
that has brought me happiness.

O God, it is good to feel the disciplines
that school the spirit,
and
I thank thee for the trials and troubles
which have wrought in me some hardihood of soul.

O God, it is good to have thine everlasting arms
beneath us,
and
I thank thee now for all thy mercies,
both temporal and spiritual,
those I have known, those I have not recognized,
wherewith thou hast upheld me in
thy wisdom, power, and love.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise him, all creatures here below;
Praise him above, ye heav'nly host:
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Miles Lowell Yates (1890-1956)

1 comment: