Thursday, September 8, 2011

It Ought to Be Done My Way

I am taken back sometimes by how often people confuse their personal preferences with what they think others ought to do. They might have excellent reasons to support their preferences; perhaps even convincing reasons. Nevertheless, when preferences get elevated to the level of an oughtwhen people are offended because others don’t prefer what they preferthis is a form of selfishness or immaturity. Wisdom and grace recognize, that while God does require some specific things, He also allows a great deal of liberty and variety. To live in community with others, which is what God created us to do, means I not only don’t always get things done the way I would prefer them to be done, but that I am called to something much higher; to show grace and kindness toward others and to even get happy about things being done in manner that I do not prefer. Sometimes, there’s a greater right than being right.

2 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed and benefited from your posts lately, Pastor Booth! Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those places where Philippians 2:3 applies:

    Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

    If it must be my way, I am acting in conceit.

    ReplyDelete