Because God commands it. Because when we celebrate we remember God’s work.
- And the children of Israel, the priests, and the Levites, and the rest of the children of the captivity, celebrated the dedication of this house of God with joy. ―Ezra 6:16
- And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them. ―Nehemiah 8:12
Because when we celebrate we remember what’s important:
- Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. ―James 1:17
- There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labor. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God. ―Ecclesiastes 2:24
What Are We Celebrating? The good gifts of God, family and friends, material blessings, and special occasions. Is it just a party? No! It’s always to be done with thankfulness to the Lord, just as we always give thanks for our food before we eat:
- “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). We should have a good time to the glory of God!
How Should We Celebrate? With good food, drink, dancing, music; whatever your heart desires.
- And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household. ―Deuteronomy 14:26,
- And David and all the house of Israel were celebrating before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals. ―2 Samuel 6:5